We're over 100 years old - a brief guide to our past

Club History

The following article was written by Ray Mahoney, [H.W.B.C. Captain

1994 & 1995, President 1999], and dates from 2000

 (with thanks to Allen Wetherell for submitting the item)


High Wycombe Bowling Club, the third oldest club in the County, was born in 1902 in

Harlow Rd. This is just east of the town centre opposite the Rye.The first High Wycombe

bowling green was situated at the top of the road where St John's Ambulance Station now

stands. This was a 4 rink green, which at the time was quite sufficient for the number of

bowling players. The site was purchased by 35 shareholders for the sum of £35.

Amongst the foundling members were furniture manufacturers, mill owners, doctors and

solicitors. One of the better known members was Lord Desborough.

As High Wycombe prospered and grew, so did the Bowls Club. It became apparent

that the green was of insufficient size for the potential membership, so in 1927 the new

club was opened at its present site in Chestnut Avenue. The Harlow Rd club was sold for

£450 and the new land bought for £300. A maximum size green of eight rinks was

constructed by Maxwell Hart of Glasgow at a cost of £1000. This was the first Cumberland

turf green to be laid in Buckinghamshire. The clubhouse, which cost £700, has changed

very little since 1927. It still has its original oak beams and the timber lined main hall.

80 hand-made wheel back chairs, each with H.W.B.C. carved on the back,were presented

by James Elliots & Sons. The President's chair, also with H.W.B.C. carved on the back,

was made by J.W.Hawkins. Over the years the two most important games to be played at

the green were the touring South African sides in 1935 and again in 1995.


Roger Turpie researched and wrote an excellent booklet to


celebrate the club's centenary - watch this space for future extracts


I'm hoping there are lots of members who will be able to submit

more  articles, photos and "tales" of goings on in the Club's past. 


Do we have a local historian in the Club?

 Past articles / cuttings from the Bucks Free Press ? 

 Can anyone "date" the badge below?

 When did the Club colours change?